Saturday, January 7, 2012

"Improve your English quickly *without* effort."



I often see advertisements for English learners online. Most of the advertisements say something like this; "you will be able to speak English fluently in three months by studying for 20 minutes a day", " Just let English go in one ear and out the other, and you will come to understand movies in English soon" or " Don't study English. Just read this book."

What do you think about it? Now I do not believe those advertisements at all. But, to tell the truth, I believed a part of them before. I was stupid. I was just desperate to find the best way to master English with the lest amount of studying. I also thought that I would automatically become a fluent English speaker if I come to the US. But I was wrong; I could not improve my English at all.

I definitely needed English to survive. So I decided to learn English. I found my teacher and I expected her to save my life. But I was still thinking that the teacher could improve my English all by herself. That idea was also wrong. She could only help me. I finally realized that I had to study by myself. Actually, my teacher was really good and encouraged me to study hard. So my English is improving little by little now. But I feel it is still very slow. My teacher says that language learning is a slow process and we just have to keep studying.

These experiences of mine suggest that both concepts of "without effort" and "quick improvement" from those advertisements are wrong!

2 comments:

  1. It is very understandable to want to do things as easy as possible. But I agree with you that, often enough, there is no really easy way to do something. My own nemesis these days is economics. Everything I learn on Monday, I have forgotten by Tuesday! Obviously, I have yet to study hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still try to look for easy way... and then I remember there is no such a way.
    I just have to keep study hard... sigh.
    Good luck with our study :)

    ReplyDelete